Saturday, October 16, 2010

You guys don't know it but what you all really want is ambient early-90s house


I'm sure I've said this before but chillout-tent music wasn't always the trancey pap that embarasses us today, at one point in time electronic artists could actually navigate the terrain between beat-driven and ambient without making you feel like you entered some godawful yoga studio. Choice examples of 90s ambient include the KLF's Chill Out, Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, Terre Thamelitz's Soil, The Future Sound of London's Lifeforms, that kind of thing. I think SAWII is probably my favorite of the bunch, but it's also a frickin canonical album and an unqualified classic so I'll post one that you guys may not have checked out yet- 76:14 by Global Communication. This album is great but just a forewarning- two tracks here sound strikingly similar to "Love on a Real Train" from the Risky Business soundtrack by Tangerine Dream. If that sounds like your kinda thing then you are in luck my friend.

Global Communication - 76:14

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, dude, SAWII is the shit. Glad to get some further recs along that line. I don't know most of these. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the link working? Calvin said he was having issues, and divshare tells me 15 pageviews and no dl, so I'm curious. I tried to set the file to 'public' status, but if you need me to I can always email the album to whoever

    ReplyDelete
  3. link didn't work for me. i tried to procure it through other means to no avail. I'd appreciate it if you could email it. thanks

    ReplyDelete