Friday, October 22, 2010

New (old) Records (albums)

Yoga Records is one of my favorite reissue efforts around. I've raved about them here before when that Robert Lester Folsom album came out last year. I just saw Folsom play his first show in decades tonight, and it was amazing. I wasn't the only one singing along to every word. There was at least one other dude in the crowd that I saw doing it too.

For reals though, this is the real deal. Yoga's two latest releases are totally worth getting your mittens on. The first is this Ted Lucas Record, which no one has ever not liked. The second is the record by Dwarr called Animals, and it is like if Bobb Trimble covered Sabbath. Like some proto-doom metal shit. So so so excellent.

I also really like Matthew Young's Traveler's Advisory and Jeff Eubank's A Street Called Straight. Yoga put all these out as digital releases and some vinyl and then bigger outfits (Drag City, Mexican Summer) put them out on vinyl later. I think he's running a really smart and effective label this way. Getting this stuff out into the world. I can't say enough to support this dude's label. I hope to catch him at the wfmu record fair tomorrow to pick his brain more about doing reissues and how to be so damn cool and stuff.

This track sounds like it could be by the Durutti Column (sorta). He is just reading lines out of his car's owner's manual. His hammered dulcimer work is technically, nerdily, brilliant. The record also has a spectacular cover of Michael Hurley's Werewolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment