Tuesday, October 19, 2010

More 80s Bar Rock, But Mostly the Same Old 80s Bar Rock



As you all know, I've got this sad little soft spot for really awful blues rock. I got embarrassingly into the new Grinderman record, only listening to it on headphones cause I didn't want my roomies to think I wasn't cool. Then I started going back through my stuff trying to find some more shit to scratch the itch. Jon Spencer Blues Control didn't do it, Doo Rag didn't do it, Delta 72 didn't do it, and well, shit man, you get the idea.

So it all came back to Gun Club and The Pontiac Brothers. 80s Los Angeles alternatives to X, the cramps, or the bad seeds. Both Gun Club and Pontiac Bros. hit the white dude blues sound on the head better than anyone since Canned Heat. Like REM, White Stripes, and like, other people you dont care about couldn't exist without these bands. They also covered the Dead and shit. Anyways, this is the stuff I'm listening to on headphones lately. My latest Steve Hillage record lost my living room music privileges for the month.

Here's a good Pontiac Brothers album if anyone's interested....

3 comments:

  1. Ha, you should post a youtube of some Pontiac Brothers stuff... I'm not sure I'm convinced enough for a full album haha. Though I don't hate the Gun Club, by any means

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, i checked out this one- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6sfX7T_ag0

    and it reminds me a lot of uncle tupelo, though it was probably from a wayyyy different scene. did you ever listen to them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, no, but that doesn't sound like a very good thing to me.... I mean, give me a few years and I'll be super into it.

    ReplyDelete