Friday, November 5, 2010

I Went to a Rave on Halloween

I did. It was weird. The music left me disappointed, but the costumes were good. I thought I should tell someone. It was in Philadelphia. I'm moving back there, btw. That is also weird. I'm going to miss the rubntug/runaway parties that happen here in new york. Oh well, I'll save hundreds of dollars a month, which is important when you don't have an income.



I guess last year was a big year for Levon Vincent, but I'm just now really getting into his sound. Could be a return for me into house with this kind of dub techno lean. I guess I got so grossed out by dubstep that I wasn't really open to the more Basic Channel or straight dub techno sounds out there. I mean, I still liked some of that stuff, and even have some good 12"s from a few years back that are great, but hadn't really stayed up on it. This is the kind of stuff I would have been more happy to hear at a rave. Or like Fred P. or Omar S. Any recommendations along these lines, anyone?

You can download a pretty good mix he put together at mnml ssgs.

2 comments:

  1. levon vincent is great. i dig this track and a few others too. for whatever reason i got sick of omar s REAL FAST, i think i'd much rather go for the old school stuff (less dub techno, tho omar s isn't usually dub techno either) like ANYTHING larry heard/mr fingers/fingers inc. ever produced. i'll see if i can upload a comp sometime soon.

    as far as modern dub techno goes, i'm no expert but i really dug the roll the dice album from earlier this year, and i like most all of the echospace stuff too. you also might want to check out intrusion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I need more larry heard. I dl'd some stuff of his, but I think I'm missing out on the classics or something. I'll check out the roll the dice too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete