Monday, May 25, 2009

Blo - Phase IV


This was definitely the highlight of my finds at Good Records a few weeks back. This record sells for upwards of $200 on the interweb, so I was lucky to find it in G to VG condition at a super reasonable price. Phase IV takes the band's psychedelic funk to a Grandfunk or Sly & the Family level with hints of a measure of disco in this 1976 release.

Two of the members toured and played with Ginger Baker even before their first LP in 1972 got them voted best band in Nigeria. Their guitarist Berkely Jones, who contributed his soloing to the Ofege self-titled debut recently rereleased by Academy Records, has some remarkable work on this record. Drummer Laolu Akins really shines as well, where "Number One" starts out the B Side with some major breakdowns. They have been one of my favorite bands to get "resurrected" during this time of intense Afro beat reissuing. Their Chapter One LP is phenomenal, and would definitely fetch more money than Phase IV, but Phase IV is often referred to as the Holy Grail of Afro-Boogie (i mean, i read that once, and now that I have it I am definitely spreading the rumor).

Regardless,I haven't heard anything of theirs that I didn't love. Chapter One has a stronger psychadelic sound, seemingly closer to the Zombies, Dr. John, or even the Rolling Stones, while Phase IV displays the more distinctively funky sound that the band pursued after being dropped by EMI. Enjoy!

Side 1:
1. Trace of Suicide
2. Scandi Boogie
3. You're So Kind
4. Music Makes You Happy

Side 2:
5. Number One
6. Save Me (Vocal-Lynn Thompson)
7. Move Up
8. I Miss Your Lovin'


-this was my first time ripping from vinyl. Any suggestions for improvement let me know. I didn't have time to cut each track into individual tracks. You can easily do that yourself if you need to.

3 comments:

  1. oh my god!!!!thanks for sharing this missing part in my blo discography!!!thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you find this gemm??and what the price was??you are a lucky man!!if you have some other super stuuf like this one,rare afrofunk,i am your man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahahahah i can't wait to hear this!!really!!if i may share something with you,let me know,i have some good sounds in this style (ofege,apostles,bongos ikwue,bright enghelberts etc.....)thank you so much for the third time....i won't come back for a fourth!!

    ReplyDelete